Occupational health & safety
It is vital for both our employees and our business to maintain a safe and healthy work place, with good work-life balance. Some of our focus areas include prevention of accidents and hazards, hygiene, health promotion and product safety.
Initiative & activities
Lessons Learned Sharing (LLS) was rolled out in 2014 and is a safety initiative. LLS is a platform for sharing health & safety-related experiences and ideas with colleagues across sites and functions. LLS aims to improve employee safety by avoiding recurrence of incidents and near-misses at other sites or functions. It was created as a result of Novozymes’ global safety assessment in 2013 and was built as an add-on to the existing "Dare to Care" and "Stop and Think" safety campaigns, which remind employees to take care of themselves and each other in potentially risky situations.
As outlined in Novozymes’ quality policy, we will inform our customers about safe handling of products and advise when we are aware that products could be used in a way that violates regulatory requirements. Customers can download product safety sheets on all products at the on-line Customer Centre.
Personal hygiene is a very important factor when working with food/feed products. Novozymes adheres to a set of rules and requirements for personal and site hygiene and uses the cleaning-in-place (CIP) method. Novozymes has set out requirements for clothes, footwear, jewelry, health status, and behavior for all production personnel, who are given training on these requirements.
Management system & guidelines
- Identification and compliance with authority requirements
- Employee involvement in OH&S work at the departmental level
- Objectives, targets, and action plans based on annual hazard identification and risk assessments to continuously improve safety
- Training and re-training of employees
- Evaluation of the effectiveness and applicability of the OH&S system through annual management reviews
Targets & KPIs
- Frequency of occupational accidents: For 2015, Novozymes has set the target of keeping the frequency of occupational accidents below 1.7 per million working hours. For 2020, Novozymes has set the target of keeping the frequency of occupational accidents below 1.0 per million working hours.
- Employee rate of absence: For 2015 and 2020, Novozymes has set the targets of keeping employee absence below 2%.
- Number of fatalities: 0 (2014), 0 (2013)
- Number of accidents with absence: 17 (2014 ), 24 (2013))
- Number of occupational diseases: 4 (2014), 8 (2013)
- Frequency of accidents with absence (per million working hours): 1.7 (2014), 2.4 (2013)
- Frequency of occupational diseases (per million working hours): 0.4 (2014), 0.8 (2013)
- Rate of absence: 1.8 (2014), 1.8 (2013)
- Injury severity rate: 16 (2014), 8 (2013)
- Consequences of occupational accidents: See Note 8.2
- Consequences of occupational diseases: See Note 8.2
- Types of occupational diseases: See Note 8.2