Pond microogranisms: Friends or foes?
The critical growout period
The 80 to 90 day period during the culture cycle of an aquaculture pond is called the Critical Growout Period (CGP). The water quality tends to deteriorate rapidly during this time owing to high organic load, reduced levels of dissolved oxygen and increasingly toxic conditions. With beneficial pond microorganisms like PondPlus®, it is possible to protect the shrimp during the Critical Growout Period, thus maintaining a high survival rate and increasing harvest yield.
A stable phytoplankton bloom is essential for an optimal, stress-free environment. Trials show that PondPlus®-treated ponds can be maintained for over 120 days (for Litopenaeus vannamei shrimp). Treated ponds were shown to yield bigger shrimp sizes, a bigger harvest and an improved feed conversion ratio.
Learn more about our aquaculture solutions
Novozymes' PondPlus® is a synergistic blend of spore-forming bacteria that displace harmful bacteria by competitive processes.
- Stable bloom throughout the crop cycle
- Clean bottom levels due to digested bottom sludge and excess feed
- Enhanced yield due to the creation of an optimal and stress-free environment
PondDtox® is the world’s only microbial solution that can both prevent and remedy a hydrogen sulfide-infected pond by oxidizing the hydrogen sulfide into harmless compounds.
- Removes hydrogen sulfide and prevents buildup
- Protects aquatic life; prevents and reduces mortality
- Improves crop size and yield