The ideal catalysts
How to get the most from your corn and all of your mills
In starch processing, competition is high and margins are challenged so every process improvement counts. Novozymes Frontia® for separation is the latest addition to our starch processing portfolio. It can make a real difference to a plant's efficiency and yields, says Oscar Pastor Ferrer, Novozymes Senior Industry Technology Specialist. It takes the best enzymatic technologies and the best technical expertise to get the most out of your raw materials. Implementation is key to getting the most from enzymatic technologies like Frontia®. That’s why our technical experts are on the ground in starch plants all over the world every day, helping to make them even more efficient and profitable.
Reach your plant’s maximum potential
Novozymes Frontia® Fiberwash allows you to get the most from your corn and all your mills by combining mechanical milling with enzymatic corn separation.
- Increase your starch output by more than 2%
- Increase your gluten meal output by more than 8%
- Cut your drying costs by more than 20%
- Cut your dewatering equipment load by 20-30%
- Boost your grinding capacity by 10%
Novozymes LpHera® is an alpha-amylase that allows you to cut your pH chemicals by 50%. With LpHera®, you can draw a better line from liquefaction to your lowest possible total cost of conversion.
- Cut pH chemical usage by more than 50%
- High fructose syrup producers can also cut energy and water usage by 7%
- Crystalline dextrose producers can drive crystallization yields by up to 0.6% points
- Fermentation products producers can also drive higher fermentation yields
Novozymes Extenda® is an unmatched glucoamylase blend that offers a range of options to cut your starch conversion costs, so you can draw a better line to your plant’s sweet spot.
- Achieves value beyond saccharification
- More DP1, less DP2 especially isomaltose than any other glucoamylase
- Lower cost of conversion than ever before for ultra-high purity sweeteners
Novozymes Secura® is a beta-amylase for maltose production that offers temperature stability and higher, more consistent enzyme activity than plant-based alternatives. The result is simpler starch processing and the lowest cost of conversion.
Using Secura® in combination with LpHera® allows you to run at a lower pH from liquefaction to saccharification. This means you can save on chemicals that would have been used for pH adjustment.
- Lower risk of infections
- Lower energy and chemical costs
- Simpler, more consistent dosing and processing: No need for constant monitoring
- Easier transport and handling
Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) and other oligosaccharides such as cyclodextrins are gaining attention for their health benefits. Novozymes Toruzyme® is the right tool for catalyzing the formation of alpha-, beta-, and gamma-cyclodextrins from starch.
- Synthesis of cyclodextrins from starch
- Flexibility for a wide variety of applications
Isomerization with Novozymes Sweetzyme® offers low-cost conversion of dextrose to fructose in a continuous operation with high productivity.
- Continuous operation – carried out in a continuous fixed-bed reactor process, low formation of by-products
- High productivity – column lifetime up to 200-400 days
- Low cost of conversion – up to 18,000 kg fructose per kg Sweetzyme®
- High average flow rate – minimizing column output variation
Wheat is a highly complex raw material that can create challenges in processing. Novozymes Shearzyme® helps you achieve smooth separation of starch, gluten and fiber in wheat.
- Higher gluten yield – due to efficient removal of pentosans and starch
- Increased capacity – rapid reduction of viscosity, and lower fouling of screen evaporator
- Improved starch purity – greater extraction yield of high-value A-starch, efficient removal of pentosans and proteins
- Energy savings – less process water and lower evaporator costs
Whether the end-product is high fructose syrup, dextrose, maltose, maltodextrin or polyols, the process starts with an alpha-amylase for starch liquefaction that can be applied under a wide range of conditions.
- Efficient Dextrose Equivalent development – when high DE development in a short time is a key parameter
- High dextrose yield – with minimal by-product formation
- Fast viscosity reduction – enabling high dry substance levels
- Low color formation – reducing refinery costs
- Savings on chemicals and ion exchange costs by eliminating calcium addition
In production of dextrose syrups, the requirements for the final syrup determine the saccharification parameters. Novozymes’ Dextrozyme® product range improves dextrose yields and filtration, and ensures a more stable process.
- Higher dextrose yield – due to lower reversion rate
- Low risk of syrup infections – by running at higher temps
- Stable process – allows for variations in pH
- Improved filtration
In sweetener production, Novozymes Promozyme® increases the yield of maltose or dextrose and reduces the amount of branched oligosaccharides during saccharification. It can be used with other enzymes.
- Increase maltose or dextrose yields
- Reduce oliogosaccharides
Novozymes BAN® is used in several processes in the starch industry often as a processing aid when filtration problems appear after saccharification (in maltose or dextrose syrup production), or when making maltodextrins.
- Reduce problems with filtration
- Reduce viscosity
Novozymes enzymes can be tailored for production of everything from low- to very-high maltose syrups.
They can handle a very wide range of applications - no matter whether your product is used as a stabilizer or texturizer in confectionary, or as a fermentation feedstock in alcoholic beverages, or as a building block for blends of high maltose with high dextrose or fructose syrups.
- Full control of the sugar spectrum
- Reduced viscosity
- High maltose content (>80%)
- Elimination of micobial growth in saccharification