Want to add natural sweetness and digestibility?
How can enzymes help?
Lactose is a naturally-occurring sugar in milk. To break down lactose, a lactase enzyme is needed. Lactases are able to convert the lactose into glucose and galactose, two sugars that are easily digestible and have a higher sweetness value.
This means that dairy producers can use lactases to add less sugar, and still achieve the same degree of sweetness.
Lactases thus let producers address both the sugar-reduction trend and the low-lactose/improved digestibility trend at the same time. The appearance of the final product is not affected.
Broad application range
Our reduced-lactose solutions
Novozymes Saphera® enables production of easy-to-digest lactose-free and reduced-sugar diary products. It is an innovative non-yeast lactase originated from Bifidobacterium bifidum that has advantages over traditional yeast-based lactases. Saphera® has a unique pH and temperature profile, and is highly versatile in production applications. It has fewer side activities. It reaches a low-lactose level faster than competitive products. It effectively reduces lactose all the way down to 0.01%.
- Enables less added sugar, easy-to-digest, lactose-free dairy products
- Better control of lactose elimination
- Cleaner taste
- Improved suitability for fermented dairy products
- Better sweetness control in sweetened dairy products
Novozymes Saphera® Fiber is a beta-galactosidase that converts lactose (the sugar inherently in milk) into galacto-oligosaccharide (GOS) fiber.
As a conversion of lactose into GOS – and not an added ingredient – the enzyme simultaneously reduces sugar and calories while increasing fiber (fiber generated has the caloric value of 2 kcal/g whereas sugar has 4 kcal/g). This provides innovation opportunities for brands to combine fiber claims in reduced sugar product reformulation.
- Fiber enrichment and sugar reduction
- Same sweetness and sensory experience that consumers expect
- Cleaner label and natural positioning
- Stable and easy-to-handle liquid formulation
The highest-quality yeast lactase in the market, Lactozym® Pure, is exceptionally pure. This purity reduces off-flavors, helping both fresh milk and UHT products keep a pure and consistent natural milk flavor. Lactozym® Pure is suitable for organic dairy production, and effectively reduces lactose down to 0.1%.
- Accepted for organic production
- Exceptional purity reduces off-flavors in fresh milk and UHT products
- Produce easy-to-digest lactose-free products
- Broad application range from lactose-free milk to dulce de leche