Smarter chemical synthesis
Enzymes for biocatalysis
In biocatalysis, natural catalysts like enzymes replace chemical catalysts in synthetic processes. By using enzymes for biocatalysis, you can achieve cost savings and greater sustainability. Biocatalysis can also improve your productivity and the quality of your active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and intermediates.However, Novozymes products do not comply with manufacture according to pharmaceutical standards and Novozymes products must not be used as APIs or excipients.
Meet the expert
Cost-efficient and sustainable
Many API manufacturers are looking for ways to reduce their use of resources and the level of waste they produce. Biocatalysis reactions adhere to green chemistry principles, offering an effective tool for cost-efficient, sustainable manufacturing.
Biocatalysis is a proven technology for some prominent active pharmaceutical ingredients synthesis Dinesh Nair from our biocatalysis team explains that pregabalin is an example of successful chemo-enzymatic synthesis. Its biocatalytic routes show the benefits to be gained from replacing chemical processes with chemoenzymatic reactions.
Enzymes for cell culture
Trypsin is used in tissue dissociation, cell harvesting, subculturing and other processes.
Unlike native trypsin, Novozymes rTrypsin® for cell culture is animal origin‐free.
Lipases for biocatalysis
Immobilized lipases for biocatalysis
Proteases for biocatalysis
rTrypsin® for cell culture
Lipases are one of the most commonly used classes of enzymes in biocatalysis. Lipozyme® CALB and the other enzymes in our lipase portfolio are in liquid formulation.
- Enantioselective resolution of esters and amides
- Acylation of alcohols and amines to form ester and amides
- Mild hydrolysis or acylation of sensitive substrates
- Kinetic resolution by transesterification of racemic alcohols
- Kinetic resolution by hydrolysis of racemic ester and desymmetrization of diesters
Immobilization of lipases on a solid carrier leads to a number of benefits for biocatalysis. Our portfolio of immobilized lipases includes Novozym® 435.
- Better performance in non-aqueous solvents
- Efficient recovery and separation of reaction product and the possibility to recycle and reuse the catalyst for cost savings
- Minimization of protein contamination
- Enhanced stability from heat
- Organic solvents or autolysis
- Higher catalyst productivity for cost-efficiency
- Convenient, safer handling
Protease enzymes catalyze the reaction of hydrolysis of various bonds with the participation of a water molecule. Our protease portfolio includes Alcalase®.
- Kinetic resolution of amino acids by hydrolysis of racemic amino esters which can be converted into dynamic kinetic resolution by addition of catalytic aldehyde
- Hydrolysis of selective amides
- Formation of low molecular weight peptides
Although native trypsin has been available for many years, the more stringent regulations now in place to ensure safer biologicals and biopharmaceuicals make rTrypsin® an attractive choice.
- Cell dissociation
- Propagation of multiple cell lines including stem cells
- Vaccine production and processing
- Dissociation of dissected cells prior to cell fixing
- Sorting and cleavage of proinsulin to yield intact insulin.
- Recombinant, animal origin-free manufacturing process that meets ISO 9001:2008 standards
- Risk of viral and animal-related contaminants in the final product eliminated
- Stability unaffected by Ca2+
- Consistent product supply
Interested in hearing more about our enzymes for pharmaceutical and industrial applications?
Enzymes as process aids
Novozymes does not promote or support the use of enzymes as Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) or excipients. Enzymes are not produced according to pharmaceutical standards.
If enzymes are used as process aids, it is the responsibility of the API/excipient manufacturer to assure that the enzymes are suitable for the intended use, including but not limited to evaluation of purity and absence in the final product.
Laws, regulations and/or third party rights may prevent customers from importing, using, processing and/or reselling the products described herein in a given manner. Without separate, written agreement between the customer and Novozymes to such effect, the information provided does not constitute a representation or warranty of any kind and is subject to change without further notice.