What is denim abrasion and finishing?
How can enzymes help?
Up until the early 1990s, jeans manufacturers used pumice stone and chemicals to give jeans a stonewashed look. That changed after Novozymes’ scientists developed the first stone-washing enzymes capable of loosening dye from the fabric for a more sustainable wash.
Recently, Novozymes perfected denim abrasion and finishing biotechnology to allow low-temperature enzymes to be sprayed directly on the garment in safety-approved low-water spray machines. This process dramatically reduces water consumption by up to 95 percent.
Learn more about Enzymes for denim processing
Novozymes Denilite® allows for a safer, more stable and faster denim bleaching process even without damage to stretch fibers when compared to traditionally bleached denim.
Novozymes Denilite® Benefits
- Cuts chemical use to improve effluent quality
- Easier to use: bleaching stops automatically after 15 minutes
- Improves garment contrast and enhances abrasion effect
- Excellent anti-back staining properties
- Available for use at room temperature
- No damage to stretch fibers
In denim abrasion, Novozymes Denimax® cuts water, energy and heat costs and gives a great stone-washed look.
Novozymes Denimax® Benefits
- Provides a high color contrast finish, high-color pull and a low degree of back staining
- Cuts water consumption by up to 95 % and energy consumption by up to 50 %.*
- Reduces equipment wear and tear*
- Available for temperatures as low as 30°C and for combined de-sizing and abrasion (single process step)
- Available for water saving spray application for DeniSafe® certified machines
*Compared to conventional stonewashing with pumice stones
Want to learn more about Denimax®? Contact us below.