The naked proof
Existing microbial communities can't always degrade all contaminants present in wastewater. Adding our microbial solutions to the community in a process known as bioaugmentation targets the problematic contaminants and makes the community more robust.
How do we know? Because the effect of bioaugmentation is measurable and proven.
The right solution
One size doesn't fit all
Bioaugmentation is not a one-size-fits-all solution, so the first step is to define a wastewater system's unique needs. Our technical experts recommend a solution after evaluating the system's operating conditions and diagnosing the microbial population using advanced analytical techniques.
When existing microbial communities can't maintain hydrocarbon degradation, many petrochemical wastewater facilities rely on powdered activated carbon (PAC) to do the job. This significantly increases costs, according to Steve Leach from our wastewater team.
The goal is to minimize costs while maintaining effective hydrocarbon degradation in the effluent. Novozymes BioRemove 2300 is a blend of carefully chosen microorganisms with unique hydrocarbon degradation capabilities that saved one petrochemical facility $120,000 per year. It also reduced effluent TSS by 26% and kept effluent biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) below permitted levels.
Managing COD levels
Boost biogas production
High organic loads in the agriculture and food and beverages sectors makes managing chemical oxygen demand (COD) levels a challenge.
Bioaugmentation can increase the efficiency of COD removal and production of biogas. Novozymes BG Max® 3000 saved one pork processing facility $170,000 per year through increased biogas generation, which reduced the need to buy natural gas.
Oil stain &
Support biomass growth
Products in the Novozymes BioAid™ portfolio are developed to supplement nutritionally poor wastewater. They make operations easier and help plants with nutrient-limited wastewater streams meet their treatment goals.
- Source of nitrogen and phosphorus in a form readily available to bacteria
- Source of highly-concentrated and readily degradable carbon
- Can be used as a food source during turnarounds and process disruptions
Clean up in every climate
Products in the Novozymes BioRemove® and Novozymes BioEase® portfolios degrade a range of compounds in municipal and industrial wastewater systems including chemical oxygen demand (COD), hydrocarbon, phenol and fats, oils and grease (FOG).
The cold-loving microorganisms in Novozymes Toler-X® 5100 reduce COD at temperatures as low as 2°C/60°F.
- Improve the health of system’s existing biomass and its ability to degrade the target compound
- Increases stability, making biomass less susceptible to upsets
Dynamic prevention of odors
Products in the Novozymes OdorCap® portfolio target odors from hydrogen sulfide, mercaptans, organic acids and a variety of wastewater odors, as well as offering odor control with fragrance.
Our tailored odor control programs are based on advanced sampling techniques that help determine which odor compounds are present and where they are formed.
- Dynamic response to odor formation – prevention at source
- Superior odor management through odor binding chemistry and odor degrading microorganisms
- Available in spray form for direct application on surfaces
Less dredging, more operating volume
Novozymes BioSpikes® 5000 is an easy-to-use, cost-effective alternative to expensive dredging projects, allowing you to dredge less frequently. A combination of microorganisms, enzymes and nutrients, it is applied at the water surface and sinks directly into the settled sludge layer where it works to reduce sludge volume.
- Can be applied over a broad area
- Improves hydraulic retention time
- Increases operating lagoon volume
- Minimizes short-circuiting
- Can be applied directly to hot spots and used without interrupting treatment
Tackling ammonia in a range of wastewater typesProducts in the Novozymes BioRemove® portfolio cover both nitrification and denitrification in a wide range of wastewater types and treatment processes. They help maintain nitrification under stressful conditions and improve denitrification stability.
Benefits for nitrification
- Useful in conventional activated sludge plants and lagoons
Benefits for denitrification
- Increases start-up speed
- Cuts recovery time after upsets
Remove oily residuals and stains fast
Novozymes BioEase® 2305 contains hydrocarbon-degrading microorganisms stimulate biological degradation of oily residuals for speedy removal, as well as initiating biological treatment of rinse water.
- Safe and easy to use
- Adheres to most vertical surfaces, making it ideal for tank cleaning
- Is compatible for use with most manual spray applicators