To avoid severe consequences from climate change, the world needs to limit global warming increase to 1.5°C. Novozymes is committed to playing its part in implementing the Paris Agreement.
- Save 60 million tons CO2 by enabling low-carbon fuels in the transport sector in 2022
Novozymes is also committed to reducing our own emissions in line with a 1.5°C reduction pathway.
- Reduce absolute CO2 emissions from operations by 50%* by 2030 on our way to becoming carbon neutral in 2050
- Source 100% electricity from renewable sources by 2030
- Reduce Scope 3 CO2 emissions from purchased goods and services by 15%* by 2030
- Reduce absolute CO2 emissions from our own operations by 40%* by 2022
*compared to a 2018 baseline
Over 2 billion people live in countries experiencing high water stress caused by shortages or pollution. Novozymes is committed to helping ensure clean and efficient water use.
- Reach >4 billion people by providing laundry solutions that replace chemicals in 2022
Water is also a key resource for our production. Novozymes operates in several regions worldwide with different water supply and demand conditions. Novozymes is committed to pioneering a context-based approach to water management, which includes building a thorough understanding of the local water conditions.
- 100% of sites manage water in balance with local conditions by 2030
- Develop context-based water management programs for 100% of our sites by 2022
Production and consumption
Roughly one-third of the food produced in the world for human consumption every year is lost or wasted. Our solutions enable more efficient food processing and reduce losses across the food value chain.
- Gain 500,000 tons of food by improving efficiency from farm to table in 2022
To reduce the impact from production, Novozymes aims to drive towards more circularity. This means that we will choose material and design processes to minimize waste and maximize re-use and recycling.
- 100% of key materials and waste managed in circular systems by 2030
- Achieve 100% circular management of our biomass by 2022
- Implement programs to reach zero waste by 2030 at 100% of sites by 2022
- Develop plans for circular management of 100% of key packaging materials by 2022
To continue to grow and contribute to a better world, we will enable our employees to thrive, grow and perform. We will measure our ability to reach the full potential of employees through four specific targets:
- Enable learning
Achieve a score of 80 on learning in our annual employee survey by 2022
- Nurture diversity
Achieve a score of 86 on our diversity index by 2022
- Ensure wellbeing
maintain occupational injuries* ≤ 1.5
- Inspire the world
Pledge 1% of our time to local outreach activities by 2022
- Excite employees
Achieve a score of 81 on our Zymer Spirit index by 2022
*Defined as a three-year rolling average of occupational injuries with absence per million working hours.