Beyond “99.9%” claims: Novozymes launches probiotic solution in cleaning
Using beneficial bacteria to achieve a cleaner home, Novozymes launches Microvia™ to enable paradigm shift and shape the future of clean.
September 9, 2020 - Novozymes today announced the introduction of Microvia probiotics for cleaning products. The microbial technology provides superior and continuous deep cleaning on hard surfaces over conventional chemistry alone – and enables consumers to avoid overuse of harsh cleaning and disinfection agents in their own homes.
"Novozymes scientists are leading the way to a future of cleaning with probiotics, rather than harsh chemicals, as the hero. You want a cleaner home? Add more bacteria!” says Rene Garza, Novozymes’ Vice President for Household Care Americas. “People traditionally clean using chemical products that aim to remove all microbes, but there are beneficial bacteria within our home microbiome that can break down soils to natural harmless substances. Using probiotics in cleaners mean that we can boost the proportion of these helpful microbes, so they can continue the cleaning themselves.”
As many begin to question the longer-term health effects of chemical cleaning and disinfection products, not least during the current COVID-19 pandemic, consumer interest in safer, more effective, and greener probiotic cleaner products is growing.
Cleaner and greener
Novozymes has been researching the use of probiotics in household cleaning for many years. As well as scientific studies into the effectiveness and safety of probiotic cleaning solutions, it has carried out extensive research into consumer perceptions of innovative, but naturally derived formulas that leverage probiotic technology.
"From our research and that of industry experts, it would appear that consumers are ready for natural products that clean by themselves. Many surface cleaner users have expressed a positive interest in probiotic cleaning products, with almost as many concerned that disinfectants destroy good bacteria,” remarks Rene Garza. ”Novozymes Microvia probiotics add another dimension to the term ‘living space’. The probiotic bacteria help create a thriving microbiome, so that dirty surfaces get a longer-lasting clean, even while the consumer sleeps!”
A wealth of information on Novozymes Microvia probiotics and biological cleaning solutions can be found here.
The fundamentals that make Microvia a winning, natural formula in the future of clean
- Derived from nature
- Produces enzymes that actively and continuously clean
- Active for up to seven days after application
- Tackles hidden dirt and grime, even in the tiniest of crevices and fine grooves
- Contains a unique combination of Bacillus bacteria that produce up to almost 70 different cleaning enzymes
- Works naturally to breakdown and remove many different types of residue, including typical food components like starch, protein and fats
- Contributes to the balance of microbiome of the home
- Can be used in hard surface cleaning products for kitchens, bathrooms, floors, and more
- Offers versatility in application for use in homes, offices and industrial premises
- Offers a comparative shelf life to chemical cleaning products
- Provides effective visual clean, as well as deep clean
- No unpleasant chemical odor
- Reduces human, animal, and environmental impacts from use of harsh chemical products here
The future of clean is green
1. A 2018 study by Mintel found that 81% of surface cleaner users are interested in probiotic cleaners, and 57% of parents are concerned that disinfectants destroy good bacteria.